In between stopping for photo ops, eat your way through Santorini’s highlights and culinary delights by exploring the island’s beautiful villages.
- Explore Santorini through its fascinating wine history dating back centuries
- Visit a private canava (cave cellar) dating from the 19th century and get a glimpse of how locals have used these underground caves for grape storage and winemaking
- Enjoy a local instrumentalist in his cellar who combines ancient Greek music with the mythical varieties of ancient Greek wines and Greek Mythology
- Admire the breathtaking views of the Caldera at sunset as you sip on local wines
- Each Lonely Planet Experience comes with six months free access to Lonely Planet’s Guides App, which includes over 8,000 destinations guides and unbeatable discounts to Lonely Planet Guidebooks.
- Per person 18+ years old
Sip Your Way Through Santorini
It’s wine o’clock! Join us on this tour full of epic views, amazing wine, and delicious local foods. Believed to be the world’s oldest vineyard, Santorini is a unique place where you can experience the perfect fusion of food, wine, and culture – so get ready to sip your way through Santorini like a local.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
Local impact — How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- As part of your tour, you’ll visit a local winery that promotes Santorini’s ancient pruning techniques as well as indigenous varieties of grapes.
- By visiting a local instrumentalist in his cellar who combines ancient Greek music with the mythical varieties of ancient Greek wines, your tour promotes local cultural heritage.
- You experience a unique wine tour in an underground labyrinth that was the owner’s house during his childhood, giving you a better sense of local life and traditions.
- All of the food you sample during your tour is locally sourced from Santorini and nearby islands, which supports local farmers and helps preserve Satorini’s culinary traditions.
- All of the stores you visit on your tour are 100% locally owned and run.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, transportation, museum entrance ticket, 10 glasses of wine, local seasonal nibbles such as local cheese, cherry tomatoes and cold cuts
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your driver and guide
- Duration: 4 hours
- Pick-up location/drop-off location: This is a private tour and has pick-up/drop-off from your hotel/cruise ship.
- Pick-up time: 5.00 pm
- Note: For the departure from 15th Oct. to 10th Dec., the pick-up time will be 4.00 pm due to Daylight Savings.
Start your private Santorini tour with a pick-up from your hotel or from the old port (Skala), where your local guide will be waiting for you at the cruise arrivals pier.
The first stop on our wine culture exploration will be an old, private canava, the island’s underground caves used as a space for grape storage and winemaking. Get ready to hear fascinating stories of locals who have mastered the island’s harsh weather conditions to create exceptional wines using ancient techniques and methods that are still in use today.
Next, it’s time to learn all about the promising future but also the fascinating past of Santorini wine by visiting a famous award-winning local instrumentalist in his cellar who combines ancient Greek music with the mythical varieties of ancient Greek wines, while reciting Greek mythology.
Since this is a wine tour after all, our last stop will have you sampling four more local wines paired with a platter of local, seasonal nibbles such as local meats and cheeses on the winery’s terrace with gorgeous sunset views.
Your wine tour of Santorini will sadly finish here, but we know you will definitely want to come back for more! Your guide will be more than happy to make recommendations for what else you can do if your plans allow you more time on the island.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable walking shoes (no flip-flops). The dress code for the venues is smart-casual. No beachwear allowed.
Your trip: This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at your hotel for pick-up. Please check your hotel details are correct on the voucher. If your details are not correct, it is very important to please email us to confirm your correct pick-up hotel using the contact details on the voucher. If you prefer, you may also phone the change through to us during business hours.
Additional Information: Remember to write your designated pick-up and drop-off area when you book. This service is free. Departure location is at your request anywhere in Santorini — hotel, port, airport, cable car in Fira. If you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time.
Child policy: Travellers under 18 years of age are not permitted to join this tour.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout, or by emailing us at [email protected]